Here’s a selection of 6 speed/effort sessions designed to help you achieve a 10k pb. Try mixing and matching 2-3 speed sessions a week. During race weeks substitute your 3rd speed session for the race. If your week is a busy as mine and you struggle to get all the sessions in try substituting a speed session for a strength and conditioning session such as weights, circuits or core stability.
Don’t forget to include rest and recovery as an essential part of your training week.
1) 3 sets of:
3 Mins 5k race pace with 90 secs recovery pace
2 Mins 5k pace, 60 secs recovery
60 Secs 5k, 30 secs recovery
30 secs 5k, 3 Mins recovery
2) 5 sets of 3 mins 5k race pace, 90 secs recovery.
5x 2 mins 5k race pace, 60 secs rec.
5x60secs 5k race pace, 30 secs rec.
3) 6 mins race pace, 3 mins rec
5 mins race pace, 2mins rec
4 mins race pace, 2 mins rec
3 mins race pace, 90 secs rec
2 mins 5k race pace, 60 secs rec
60 secs 5k race pace, 60 secs rec
4x 30 secs 5k race pace, 30 secs rec
4) Hill session: 6x long hill (300-400m), 8 to 10 x short hill (100-200m)
5) 6x 1mile repeats at 10k race pace with 3-4 min jog.
6) 3x 2mile repeats at 10 race pace with 5min jog recovery.